- Yahoo purchases Tumblr for $1.1 billion – $YHOOPosted 4 hours ago
- iPhone 5S Features Revealed $AAPLPosted 3 days ago
- BlackBerry Might Release Phablets $BBRYPosted 3 days ago
- Macy’s Confirms Strong Retail Sales – $MPosted 5 days ago
- The Radio Revolution: Apple vs. Google $AAPL $GOOGPosted 5 days ago
UN votes for sanction against North Korea
Bernadette Carreon – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor
New York, NY, United States (4E) – The United Nations Security Council has voted to tighten financial restrictions on North Korea.
The US-drafted resolution was approved unanimously by the 15-nation council on Thursday.
The sanctions are in response to the third nuclear test conducted by North Korea.
The sanction also covers attempts to ship and receive banned cargo in breach of UN sanctions.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, a former South Korean foreign minister, welcomed the council’s move.
The resolution is targeting North Korean diplomats, cash transfers and access to luxury goods.
Meanwhile, North Korea vowed to use its right to a pre-emptive nuclear attack against its aggressors.The North conducted its third nuclear test in defiance of UN resolutions.
South Korea and the US,are conducting annual military drills until the end of April.