National and International Banking Organizations :
- The World Bank
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Financial Services Technology Consortium (FSTC)
- The US Federal Reserve
Banks and Financial Institutions:
- Qualistream — Directory with links to over 1,000 banks worldwide.
- AAA’s Bank List — Another comprehensive worldwide directory.
- FDIC — All about the FDIC.
Investment Bankers and Sources of Capital:
Go to Bank-Holidays.com for an international calendar.
J. P. Morgan gave this summary of weekly and annual holidays.
Sunday is a holiday, with banks closed, in most countries. The countries where Sunday is not a holiday include Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Djibouti, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, some states in Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somali Democratic Republic, Sudan, Syria, United Aram Emirates, and Republic of Yemen. In most of these countries, banks are normally open on Saturday and Sunday and closed on Friday; in Israel and Nepal, banks are open on Friday and Sunday and closed on Saturday. In countries where Islam is practiced by a large part of the population, banking hours and other business hours may differ during Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar year.
Although there are several holidays observed by all the states in the United States, each state Legislature determines the official holidays and dates of observance for its own state. It is important to consult the state listings for complete information about holidays in individual states. The U. S. Congress determines holidays only for the District of Columbia (Washington, D. C.) and for offices of the federal government throughout the country.
Electronic and Online Payments and Services:
- Electronic Funds Transfer Assn. — the nation’s leading inter-industry professional association promoting the adoption of electronic payment systems and commerce.
- Escrow.com — Created to protect online buyers and sellers from fraud.
- VeriSign, Inc. — Public-key encryption and digital IDs.
- PayPal.com — Send money instantly and securely to anyone with an email address. Perhaps the largest non-bank Internet payment system.
- InternetCash — Buy music, books, posters, movies, clothing, surfwear with this form of Web currency.
- CashCards — Worldwide online payment services for business.
- Mondex — Mondex, part of the MasterCard WorldWide suite of smart card products, enables cardholders to carry, store and spend cash value using a payment card.